Keep God Weird

Monday, February 18, 2008

Cancer survivor now runs for cure

Beth Johnson, 47, of Lake Glenda Jackson is a breast malignant neoplastic disease subsister and stands for the campaign of those who have got got beaten malignant neoplastic disease to assist forestall it, to promote others who are afflicted with it and to observe the particular brotherhood and sistership of those who raise money for the fighting against cancer."I believe it's one manner of giving to those who have experienced malignant neoplastic disease in their lives," Samuel Samuel Johnson said. "It's just so devastating.""I entered the Komen Race for the Remedy for breast malignant neoplastic disease for the first clip in 2000, the first twelvemonth after my breast malignant neoplastic disease surgery and while I was undergoing chemotherapy," Samuel Johnson said. "My husband, Dave, pushed me in a wheelchair during the 5K run/walk. I have got participated every twelvemonth since, eight races in all."Johnson later joined the Team in Training for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. "I participated in the Women's Nike Marathon in San Francisco in 2006," Samuel Johnson said. "I ran the half-marathon (13.1 miles) and raised $3,900 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I ran this in portion to honour British Shilling and Dorothy Savana, who held weekly supplication meetings and prayed for me during my illness. British Shilling was later diagnosed with multiple myeloma. My brother, Lucian, had non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma at age 18. He is now 45.""I tried difficult to back up Beth through her fighting with cancer," Dave Samuel Johnson said. "I watched my ma dice from the disease and learned that household and emotional support is just as of import as the medical treatment."The running play bug spot Dave when he drove Beth to Team in Training Sessions in Houston's Memorial Park every Saturday at 5:30 a.m."I had never run before, except a statute mile or so around the block," Dave said. "You quickly acquire caught up in the enthusiasm — it's contagious. The folks we met were really amazing. Cancer had touched them all in one manner or another, and they quickly bonded with each other. Most everyone was a novice, so the managers taught us how to develop safely, and wise men helped us with fundraising."Beth is currently preparation for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer on April 12-13, a 39-mile walking over two days."I am walking in award of my Grandma Talley, who died of breast cancer, as well as my sister Virgin Mary and myself, who are both breast malignant neoplastic disease survivors," she said. "Every measure I take will be in award of my dada and oldest brother, who both died of lung cancer.""When Beth said she wanted to develop for a half-marathon with Team and Training and raise almost $4,000 along the way, I thought she was a small brainsick and thought the thought might soon melt away," Dave said. "It didn't melt away at all. It got bigger. She was really dedicated to the preparation and the fundraising.""My top emotional experience is knowing that I could run the race of my life combat breast malignant neoplastic disease and coming out the other side," Beth said. "I could assist others through fundraising for the medically underserved, research, education, and support of patients and their families.""It's hard for me to state you whether I am more than proud of her running play or her fundraising," Dave said. "She works equally difficult at both. She have truly taken a lemon and made lemonade out of it."Join the fighting against malignant neoplastic disease in Occident Columbia River this Saturday in the 3rd yearly Race for the Cure. Mother Teresa Holland, another malignant neoplastic disease survivor, organized the race, and the return travel to the American Cancer Society. Register online at www.active.com Oregon phone call Netherlands at (979) 491-2181 for a enrollment form. Package pickup truck and race-day registration get at 7 a.m. near 13th and Thomas Jefferson streets, and the race starts at 8 a.m.For information on contributing to Beth's efforts, phone call (979) 297-4633 or direct an e-mail to aggies81(at)swbell.net.Bill Shaw's running play column looks in The Facts every other Monday.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Digg ItDel.icio.us
Furl ItReddit
My WebNewsvine
WistsBlogmarks
RSS ATOM
Web Pages referring to this page
Link to this page and get a link back!

Archives

June 2007 September 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 September 2009 October 2009

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?